HEREIRMO

South Carolina Woman Succumbs to Fire Caused by Microwaved Foil-Wrapped Food

House fire aftermath kitchen

South Carolina Woman Dies Amid Fire from Microwaved Foil-Wrapped Food

Tragic Incident in Sumter County

Thommie Jackson, a 67-year-old woman in Sumter County, South Carolina, lost her life in a house fire sparked by a foil-wrapped sandwich heated in a microwave. The incident occurred at Jackson’s residence in the evening of May 23. Jackson lived in the home with her sister, who managed to escape the impending fire.

Fire Sparked By Microwaved Foil

According to a statement issued by the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office (SCSO), the fire was initiated when one of the two women attempted to warm up a sandwich, wrapped in foil, inside a microwave oven. The U.S. Department of Agriculture asserts that the microwaves in such ovens are incapable of penetrating through metal to heat the food and can potentially ignite flames on and among the foil.

Delayed Emergency Response

The Sheriff’s Office noted that unidentified “poor living conditions” within the Jackson residence created barriers for the firefighters and deputies trying to extinguish the blaze. Responders forcefully opened a door in attempts to enter the house but were held back by an onslaught of thick, choking smoke.

Estranged Sister Outside the House>

Ms. Jackson’s sister, who had successfully evacuated the house, informed the first responders to inspect the window of a room where she suspected Ms. Jackson might be.

Tragic Outcome

Emergency personnel successfully recovered Ms. Jackson from the house, and she was immediately transported to a local hospital. Despite the best efforts of medical personnel, Ms. Jackson passed away. The exact cause of her death is yet to be determined. The fire remains classified as accidental by the SCSO.


South Carolina Woman Succumbs to Fire Caused by Microwaved Foil-Wrapped Food

HERE Irmo
Author: HERE Irmo

Leave a Reply

SUBMIT YOUR BUSINESS

Recent Posts

Featured Business

Featured Neighborhood

Sign up for our Newsletter