HEREIRMO

Microwave Mistake Leads to Fatal House Fire on Kolb Road in Sumter County

Microwave Safety Infographic

Deadly House Fire on Kolb Road Attributed to Microwave Mistake

In a shocking incident in Sumter County, a house fire took the life of a 67-year-old woman identified as Thommie Ruth Jackson. According to the Sumter County Sheriff’s Office, the fire began due to a microwave mistake at the residence on Kolb Road.

How the Fire Started

The Sumter Fire Department responded to a distress call at about 8:30 p.m. on Thursday, May 23. Initial reports suggested the home was unoccupied; however, deputies and firefighters found one individual trapped inside. Smoke billowed from the house, and screams for help echoed from within. Mark Bordeaux, the public information officer for the Sheriff’s Office, detailed the sequence of events.

As per witness statements, the fire reportedly started when a resident attempted to warm a sandwich encased in foil packaging in the microwave. The sandwich wrapper ignited, and despite efforts, the flames could not be controlled. The Sheriff’s Office and Fire Department, in unison with the State Fire Marshal’s Office, ruled the fire to be accidental.

Rescue Efforts and Aftermath

When first responders arrived at the scene, Jackson’s sister, who had managed to escape the blaze, directed them to a window where she believed Jackson was located. Firefighters worked relentlessly to rescue Jackson and extinguish the fire.

Investigators pointed to the living conditions within the home as a contributing factor to the fire’s intensity. They noted that poor housing conditions hindered efforts to extinguish the fire and allowed it to spread rapidly.

Despite fervent rescue operations, Jackson was severely injured. She was rushed to Prisma Health Tuomey Hospital by Sumter EMS, where she succumbed to her injuries. The official cause of death is pending autopsy results from the Medical University of South Carolina in Charleston.

Fire Safety Precautions

Authorities chose to highlight this incident as a stern reminder of the importance of fire safety protocols while using household appliances, especially microwaves. According to safety guidelines, aluminum foil or any metal should never be placed in a microwave, as it can ignite a fire.

Moreover, clear pathways and orderly living conditions are essential in an emergency. Blocked exits or poor living conditions can severely hinder rescue operations and escalate the situation.

The Sumter County Sheriff’s Office extends its deepest condolences to the victim’s family and urges citizens to practice safe and responsible handling of household appliances to prevent such unfortunate incidents in the future.


Microwave Mistake Leads to Fatal House Fire on Kolb Road in Sumter County

HERE Irmo
Author: HERE Irmo

Leave a Reply

SUBMIT YOUR BUSINESS

Recent Posts

Featured Business

Featured Neighborhood

Sign up for our Newsletter